Last night I got in another round of painting on the Vigilant I'm painting for Ray, and I'm really happy with how it's turning out:
There's still a little mess along the lines between the cream base and the burgundy highlight, but it's a lot better. Also, the black menofix detail is way cleaner — it looks a little messy in the photo cleanup, but in person it looks awesome. There's a subtle highlight on both the cream and the burgundy that I think works well; later I'll do a narrow secondary highlight to try and make it pop.
I also gave washing the metals a shot and got decent but also sort of mixed results:
As this picture shows, the armor wash gave a little shadow definition to the pig iron bits and some in the really textured gold, but overall it isn't as strong as I was hoping. I think the deal is that I thinned the wash too much — I'm still probably too worried about ruining the paint job by sloshing ink all over it. I'll want to go over that with a stronger concentration of wash and see what happens.
The Vigilant also needs a round of shading on the non-metal bits, but overall I think it's the best thing I've painted so far.